Locaction:Home » english » VISA APPLICATION

Issuance, Extension, Renewal and Re-issuance of Residence Permit for Family Union and Personal Affairs


I Application requirements 


(I) Foreigners who hold visa specifying that Residence Permit will be applied after his/her entry into China;


(II) Foreigners who arrive at Shenzhen for family union with Chinese or foreigners who hold permanent residence permit or relatives of foreigners who hold Shenzhen residence permit (including newborn infant);


(III) Childs under the age of 18 and fostered by overseas Chinese or Chinese with nationality and above age of 60 enter into China to purchase houses or spend his/her retirement or for medical treatment. 


II Application documents (note: The following (I) to (IV) must be provided and documents listed in (V) to (X) may be provided as the case may be.) 


 (I) Completing the Foreigner Visa Documents Application Form and affixed with recently taken two-inch half-length, bareheaded and full-faced photo in blue background; then the form is sealed by the inviting entities and signed by the applicant and the agent’s signature shall also be affixed as required;


(II) Providing effective Receipt for Digital Photo Collection in Visa for Foreigners in Guangdong and signature of applicant; 


(III) Providing Certificate Letter on Visa Documents Application;  


(IV) Providing valid passport or other international travel certificates, visa certificates and seal of this entry and photocopies of these documents;


(V) Initial application or reapplication of residence permit due to change of address, the applicant shall provide Registration Form of Foreigner Temporary Residence, issued by police station where he/she temporarily live in Shenzhen or Registration Form of Foreigner Temporary Lodge issued by hotels connected to network of public security bureau;


(VI) The initial application for residence permit, the Health Certificate issued by Shenzhen Inspection and Quarantine Bureau in the last six months if applicants aged 18 to 70 years; (3rd Floor, Shenzhen Kouan Hospital, address: in the living quarters, Huanggang Kouan, Binghe Street, Futian District, Shenzhen) 


(VII) The following certificates related to application shall be provided: 


1. Family union: foreigners arrive at Shenzhen for family union with Shenzhen residents: (1) family relationship certificate (2) ID Card of Shenzhen resident. 


2. Family union: foreigners arrive at Shenzhen for family union with persons other than Shenzhen residents: (1) family relationship certificate (2) ID Card and Shenzhen Residence Permit with ten years.


3. Family union: foreigners arrive at Shenzhen for family union with Hong Kong and Macao residents who live in Shenzhen more than six month: (1) family relationship certificate (2) Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents hold by interviewee, (3) property ownership certificate or temporary lodge registration hold by interviewee with period shall extend six months of this application.


4. Family union: family members arrive at Shenzhen for family union with the overseas Chinese (Chinese who settle abroad) who live in Shenzhen more than six month: (1) family relationship certificate (2) China passport hold by interviewee, (3) foreign permanent resident permit, (4) property ownership certificate or temporary lodge registration hold by interviewee with period shall extend six months of this application. 


5. Family union: foreigners arrive at Shenzhen for family union with Taiwan residents who live in Shenzhen more than six month: (1) family relationship certificate, (2) Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents hold by interviewee, (3) property ownership certificate or temporary lodge registration hold by interviewee with period shall extend six months of this application.


6. Family union: Family members arrive at Shenzhen for family union with foreigners who hold China permanent resident permit for short period: (1) family relationship certificate, (2) foreign permanent resident permit hold by interviewee, (3) temporary lodge registration or property ownership certificate hold by interviewee. 


7. Family union: minors under age of 18 and his/her parents are overseas Chinese or Chinese with foreign nationality, (1) relationship certificate of the applicant, (2) photocopies of his/her parents’ passport, (3) power of attorney issued by the applicant’s parents and also shall be notarized (such power of attorney must expressly set out guardian and fosterage period etc.), (4) engagement letter of foster-person and also shall be notarized (5) identity certificate of foster-person: ID Card if he/she is a Shenzhen resident; ID Card and Shenzhen Residence Permit with ten years shall be provided if he/she is not a Shenzhen resident; Residence Permit shall be provided if he/she is a foreigner; (6) if both of her/his parents or one of parents is Chinese citizen, photocopies of their foreign settlement certificate shall be provided.


8. Personal affairs: foreigner’s relatives arrive at China to meet with foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Job, Study or Journalists: (1) family relationship certificate, (2) Shenzhen Residence Permit issued to interviewee.


9. Personal affairs, Foreigners who accept medical treatment in China: hospitalization certificate for period more than 6 months or medical certificate issued by the people’s court above district level or grade-A hospitals of second class.


10. Personal affairs, Chinese with nationality and above age of 60 back to China to purchase houses or spend his/her retirement: property ownership certificate under his/her own name or of his/her spouses, his/her contract with nursing homes or welfare institutions. If the houses are registered under the name of his/her spouses, relationship certificate and identity certificate of his/her spouses shall be provided. 


11. Personal affairs, Chinese with foreign nationality and under the age of 16 and visiting his/her parents who has purchased houses in Shenzhen and held Residence Permit for Personal Affairs: (1) family relationship certificate, (2) Shenzhen Residence Permit issued to interviewee; (3) property ownership certificate of his/her parents.


(VII) related certificates and materials: 


1. Initial application: (It shall be deemed as initial application if his/her residence permit expired.): (1) Health Certificate issued by Guangdong Exit-Entry Inspection and Quarantine Bureau in the last six months if applicants aged 18 to 70 years;

2. Local extension: these documents need not to be submitted if applicant applies for extension of residence permit issued by competent authorities in Shenzhen. (Agent permitted)


3. Transfer from other cities: if applicant applies for transfer his/her residence permit issued by competent authorities in other cities, then “preliminary opinions” in the Foreigner Visa Application Form issued by Foreigner Management Division of this department shall be provide; (The applicant must personally present to this Department for application)


4. Renewal of the new passport: if an applicant applies for renewal of new passport and a new residence permit, passport number recorded in his/her Employment Certificate shall be changed.


5. Loss of passport: Certificate of Loss of Passport shall be submitted if the passport lost in China; if it lost outside of China, the applicant has to enter into China with ordinary visa, then Certificate of Loss of Passport issued by overseas police station shall be submitted (translation shall be attached). 


(IX) The agent shall provide the above required documents (details see clause 2 of Article 3).


(X) Other certificates required by Public Security Bureau.


III Application method


(I) The applicant must personally present to this Department to conduct related procedures and make interview with our staff if the foreigners apply for residence permit extension in Shenzhen. Under any one of the following circumstances, the application may be conducted by his/her agent. This Department also has the power to interview the applicant as it thinks necessary notwithstanding the following requirements are satisfied.


1. Applicant less than 16 years of age or exceeding 60 years of age and mobility-handicapped applicant due to diseases etc. and providing certificate of diagnosis issued by the People’s Hospital above district level;


2. Foreigners are identified as [high-level talents] under these instructions;


3. Notarial certificate on guarantee provided by the inviter for expenses incurred by the applicant in China;


4. Relatives of foreigners who hold residence permit for work and who applies again for residence permit for personal affairs in Shenzhen. 


(II) The person may act as agent for visa application if the fist paragraph of this article is satisfied and one of the following requirements is met:


1. Family members of the applicant may act as agent upon production of family relationship certificate;


2. Employee of inviter may act as agent upon Handling of Entry & Exit Business signed by inviter and the agent’s ID card;


(III) Information Verification


1. After acceptance of application, staff of Exit-Entry Administration Department may verify the inviter (individual) and applicant information through telephone, interview and field survey to ensure its truth. The acceptance shall be revoked if application fails to pass exanimation. If visa and certificates become invalid after revocation of application, it shall be settled in accordance with laws.


2. This Department may require the inviter or individual to provide certificate of deposit with certain amount and such amount shall be frozen and provided security for living costs of the foreigner during his/her stay in China.


3. Contact person of inviting entities, inviter, agent and applicants shall keep their telephone open (it is suggested that both mobile phone and fixed-line telephone are provided and extension number also shall be provided). If any one of contact numbers cannot be reached, the application shall be revoked. If visa and certificates become invalid after revocation of application, it shall be settled in accordance with laws.


4. The application shall be revoked if the applicant fails to present interview with out staff at date and place designated by this Department except it is caused by force majeure. If visa and certificates become invalid after revocation of application, it shall be settled in accordance with laws.


IV Competent Authorities


The Exit-Entry Administration Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau (Jiefang Road NO. 4016, Luohu District, Shenzhen)


V Issuing Period 10 working days after acceptance of application (investigation period shall not be calculated if the public security bureau thinks necessary for investigation) 


VI Other Affairs


(I) [Paper and pen] Please use pen with blue or black ink or roller pen to complete the application form. Except otherwise required, original of all documents shall be examined and photocopies shall be submitted. A 4 paper is used for photocopies and all application documents shall be arranged in accordance with the above sequences. 


(II) [Entity file system] The Exit-Entry Administration Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau implements file and credit rating system for the entity that issues invitation letter and this may be use as important reference for issuance of visa documents.


(III) [Deposit certificate] Deposit amount shall be calculated in accordance with duration of stay and each day is RMB 600 Yuan and the maximum amount is RMB 60,000 Yuan. Frozen period shall be 1/3 of duration of stay and the minimum period is 10 days and the maximum is 100 days.


(IV) [Property ownership certificate] The original shall be produced, and Information on Property Ownership issued by Shenzhen Real Estate Registration Center shall be provided if there is no original ownership certificate.


(V) [Family members] mean spouse, parents, parents-in-law, child, brothers and sisters, grand parents, grand parents-in-law, grandchildren, grandchildren-in-law, spouse of child. [Relatives] mean spouse, parents, parents-in-law, children with age less than 18 years old. [Relationship certification] means various certificates issued by competent authorities of related countries, including marriage certificate, birth certificate, adoption certificate, household certificate, or other relative relationship certification and relative relationship d by himself/herself is notarized and authenticated by foreign embassies or consulates in China. [Translation] if related certificate is in foreign languages, it shall be translated by Translation Company incorporated in Shenzhen. The names should be translated into English, and the rest content should be translated into Chinese, and be affixed with seal of such Translation Company. Business license of related Translation Company shall also be attached. [Authentication] Under the request of Public Security Bureau, certificates issued by foreign entities and institutions shall be authenticated by Chinese embassies or consulates locate in such country.


(VI) [Recertification] If the new passport needed when passport will expire or visa page used up etc, or increase of accompanying persons, passport in this entry or related certificate of foreign embassies or consulates in China on collection of the old one shall be provided and the above documents shall be provided to the Exit-Entry Administration Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau to apply for new visa documents.


(VII) [Change of Reasons for Residence] 1. Foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Job or Study and intend to change his/her reasons for residence into family union or personal affairs, then the change shall be implemented after receipt of deregistration certification on Employment Certificate and Foreign Expert Certificate etc. or Agreement for Termination of Employment issued by his/her employer, or completion of educational course issued by the schools. 


2 Foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Job and intend to change his/her reasons for residence into study, then the change shall be implemented after receipt of deregistration certification on Employment Certificate, Foreign Expert Certificate, Journalist Card etc. or Agreement for Termination of Employment issued by his/her employer.


3. Foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Family Union, Personal Affairs and Study may apply for Residence Permit for Job if they are satisfied with requirements of high-level talents under these instructions; for other persons, they must reenter into China with “Z” visa to conduct related procedures after exiting.


4. Foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Family Union, Personal Affairs, Study and Job may apply for Residence Permit for Journalist only through reentering into China with J1 visa to conduct related procedures after exiting.  


(VIII) [Return receipt] Public Security Bureau will issue return receipt after accepting foreigner’s passport and application documents. A foreigner may stay in China in accordance with such return receipt during submission of passport.


(X) [Related law] Nationality Law of the Peoples Republic of China Article 3: The Peoples Republic of China does not recognize dual nationality for any Chinese national. Article 4: Any person born in China whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. Article 5: Any person born abroad whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. But a person whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth shall not have Chinese nationality. 


(XI) [Minors] 1. When applying for residence permit, an applicant under age of 18 also shall provide the following document: (1) if his/her parents also stay in Shenzhen, the family relationship certificate, identity certificate of his/her parents and residence permit hold by one of his/her parents shall be provided. (2) For minors under age of 18 but his/her parents do not stay in Shenzhen, the adoption documents shall be provided: (a) relationship certificate of the applicant, (b) photocopies of his/her foreign parents’ passport, (c) power of attorney issued by the applicant’s parents and shall be notarized (such power of attorney must expressly set out guardian and fosterage period etc.), (d) engagement letter of foster-person and shall be notarized, (e) identity certificate of foster-person: ID Card if he/she is a Shenzhen resident; ID Card and Shenzhen Residence Permit with ten years shall be provided if he/she is not a Shenzhen resident; Residence Permit shall be provided if he/she is a foreigner; (f) if both of her/his parents or one of parents is Chinese citizen, photocopies of their foreign settlement certificate shall be provided. 2. For minor under age of 18, the valid term of his/her residence permit shall not exceed 18 and his/her health certificate shall be provided once they reach age of 18. 


VII Reject to visa application made by the Exit-Entry Administration Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau shall be final. The competent authorities need not to give reasons why not issue visa. 


VIII This instruction shall be construed by the Exit-Entry Administration Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau and this bureau reserves rights to amend this instructions. 


IX Website d by Shenzhen Public Security Bureau: www.sz3e.com (may make an appointment) enquiry telephone number: 84465490 (during working hours)

Division of Exit-entry Administration Public Security Bureau
TCP:05084661 Copyright 2014