Locaction:Home » english » VISA APPLICATION

Instructions on Foreigner for Issuance, Extension, Renewal and Re-issuance of Residence Permit for Job, Study and Journalists


I Application requirements 


(I) Foreigners who hold R, Z visa to enter into China and intend to apply for Residence Permit for Job;

(II) Foreigners who hold visa other than Z visa to enter into China but they are satisfied with requirement of high-level talents under this instruction and intend to apply for Residence Permit for Job;

(III) Foreigners who hold ordinary visa to enter into China and intend to apply for Residence Permit for Study;

(IV) Foreigners who hold J1 visa to enter into China and intend to apply for Residence Permit for Journalists.


II Application documents (note: The following (I) to (VI) must be provided and documents listed in (VII) to (X) may be provided as the case may be.) 


(I) Completing the Foreigner Visa Documents Application Form and affixed with recently taken two-inch half-length, bareheaded and full-faced photo in blue background; then the form is sealed by the inviting entities and signed by the applicant;

(II) Providing effective Receipt for Digital Photo Collection in Visa for Foreigners in Guangdong and signature of applicant; 

(III) Providing Certificate Letter on Visa Documents Application; (forms of letter used in application for Residence Permit for Journalists shall be prepared by the applicants); 

(IV) Providing valid passport or other international travel certificates, visa certificates and seal of this entry and photocopies of these documents;

(V) Foreigner Employment Certificates issued by Shenzhen Bureau of Human Resource and Social Security, Foreign Expert Certificates issued by competent authorities, or Employment Pass for Offshore Oil issued by China National Offshore Oil Corp, Approval on Performance issued by culture department, or Approval on Study issued by education department, or approval issued by department of foreign affairs or journalists card etc (Selected one of these certificates);

(VI) 1. Company registration documents; 2.organization code certificate; 3. Company Credit Information printed on the www.szcredit.com.cn shall be sealed by the company. If this information isn’t found on this website, then these documents aren’t necessary.

(VII) Initial application or reapplication of residence permit due to change of address, the applicant shall provide Registration Form of Foreigner Temporary Residence, issued by police station where he/she temporarily live in Shenzhen or Registration Form of Foreigner Temporary Lodge issued by hotels connected to network of public security bureau;

(VIII) Application Documents 

1. Initial application: (It shall be deemed as initial application if his/her residence permit expired.): (1) Health Certificate issued by Guangdong Exit-Entry Inspection and Quarantine Bureau in the last six months if applicants aged 18 to 70 years; (3rd Floor, Shenzhen Kouan Hospital, address: in the living quarters, Huanggang Kouan, Binghe Street, Futian District, Shenzhen) 

2. Local extension: these documents need not to be submitted if applicant applies for extension of residence permit issued by competent authorities in Shenzhen. (Agent permitted)

3. Transfer from other cities: if applicant applies for transfer his/her residence permit issued by competent authorities in other cities, then “preliminary opinions” in the Foreigner Visa Application Form issued by Foreigner Management Division of this department shall be provide; (The applicant must personally present to this Department for application)

4. Renewal of the new passport: if an applicant applies for renewal of new passport and a new residence permit, passport number recorded in his/her Employment Certificate shall be changed. (Agent permitted)

5. Loss of passport: (1) change of registration number in Employment Certificate; (2) Certificate of Loss of Passport shall be submitted if the passport lost in China; if it lost outside of China, the applicant has to enter into China with ordinary visa, then Certificate of Loss of Passport issued by overseas police station shall be submitted (translation shall be attached). (The applicant must personally present to this Department for application (including high-level talents))

(IX) For minors under the age of 18 applying for Residence Permit for Study also shall provide documents [for minors under the age of 18] VI specified in this instructions;

(X) Other certificates required by Public Security Bureau.

III Application method


(I) The applicant must personally present to this Department to conduct related procedures and make interview with our staff if the foreigners apply for visa extension in Shenzhen. Under any one of the following circumstances, the application may be conducted by his/her agent. The public security department also has the power to interview the applicant as it thinks necessary notwithstanding the following requirements are satisfied.

1. Applicant less than 16 years of age or exceeding 60 years of age and mobility-handicapped applicant due to diseases etc. and providing certificate of diagnosis issued by the People’s Hospital above district level;

2. Foreigners are identified as [high-level talents] from 1 to 4 under these instructions;  

3. Notarial certificate on guarantee provided by the inviter for expenses incurred by the applicant in China.

4. Application for extension of residence permit in Shenzhen and Application for residence permit due to change of his/her employer. 

(II) The person may act as agent for visa application if the fist paragraph of this article is satisfied and one of the following requirements is met:


1. Family members of the applicant may act as agent upon production of family relationship certificate;


2. Employee of inviter may act as agent upon Handling of Entry & Exit Business signed by inviter and the agent’s ID card;


(III) Information Verification 


1. After acceptance of application, staff of Exit-Entry Administration Department may verify the inviter (individual) and applicant information through telephone, interview and field survey to ensure its truth. The acceptance shall be revoked if application fails to pass exanimation. If visa and certificates become invalid after revocation of application, it shall be settled in accordance with laws.


2. This Department may require the inviter or individual to provide certificate of deposit with certain amount and such amount shall be frozen and provided security for living costs of the foreigner during his/her stay in China.


3. Contact person of inviting entities, inviter, his/her agent and applicants shall keep their telephone open (it is suggested that both mobile phone and fixed-line telephone are provided and extension number also shall be provided). If any one of contact numbers cannot be reached, the application shall be revoked. If visa and certificates become invalid after revocation of application, it shall be settled in accordance with laws.


4. The application shall be revoked if the applicant fails to present interview with out staff at date and place designated by this Department except it is caused by force majeure. If residence permit become invalid after revocation of application, it shall be settled in accordance with laws.


IV Competent Authorities


The Exit-Entry Administration Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau (Jiefang Road NO. 4016, Luohu District, Shenzhen)


V Issuing Period 


10 working days after acceptance of application (investigation period shall not be calculated if the public security bureau thinks necessary for investigation)


VI Other Affairs

(I) [Paper and pen] Please use pen with blue or black ink or roller pen to complete the application form. Except otherwise required, original of all documents shall be examined and photocopies shall be submitted. A 4 paper is used for photocopies and all application documents shall be arranged in accordance with the above sequences.


(II) [Seal] All certificates issued by entities must be affixed with its official seals. 


(III) [Entity file system] The Exit-Entry Administration Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau implements file and credit rating system for the entity that issues invitation letter and this may be use as important reference for issuance of visa documents.


(IV) [work-study] Foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Study and need to work outside of school or attend internship, the certificates issued by his/her school must record place and period of his/her work-study or internship. 


(V) [Permits applicable to his/her Relatives] Spouse, parents, parents-in-law, child under age of 18 of the foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Job, Study and Journalist etc may apply for Residence Permit for Personal Affairs. [Family members] mean spouse, parents, parents-in-law, child, brothers and sisters, grand parents, grand parents-in-law, grandchildren, grandchildren-in-law, spouse of child. [Relatives] mean spouse, parents, parents-in-law, children with age less than 18 years old. [Relationship certification] means various certificates issued by competent authorities of related countries, including marriage certificate, birth certificate, adoption certificate, household certificate, or other relative relationship certification and relative relationship d by himself/herself is notarized and authenticated by foreign embassies or consulates in China. [Translation] if related certificate is in foreign languages, it shall be translated by Translation Company incorporated in Shenzhen. The names should be translated into English, and the rest content should be translated into Chinese, and be affixed with seal of such Translation Company. Business license of related Translation Company shall also be attached. [Authentication] Under the request of Public Security Bureau, certificates issued by foreign entities and institutions shall be authenticated by Chinese embassies or consulates locate in such country.


(VI) [Deposit certificate] Deposit amount shall be calculated in accordance with duration of stay and each day is RMB 600 Yuan and the maximum amount is RMB 60,000 Yuan. Frozen period shall be 1/3 of duration of stay and the minimum period is 10 days and the maximum is 100 days.


(VII) [Recertification] If the new passport needed when original passport will expire or visa page used up etc, or increase of accompanying persons, passport in this entry or related certificate of foreign embassies or consulates in China on collection of the old one shall be provided. After issuance of a renewed passport, the applicant shall provide the Exit-Entry Administration Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau with related documents to apply for renewal of residence permit.


(VIII) [Change of Reasons for Residence] 1. Foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Job or Study and intend to change his/her reasons for residence into family union or personal affairs, then the change shall be implemented after receipt of deregistration certification on Employment Certificate and Foreign Expert Certificate etc. or Agreement for Termination of Employment issued by his/her employer, or completion of educational course issued by the schools. 


2. Foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Job and intend to change his/her reasons for residence into study, then the change shall be implemented after receipt of deregistration certification on Employment Certificate, Foreign Expert Certificate, Journalist Card etc. or Agreement for Termination of Employment issued by his/her employer.


3. Foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Family Union, Personal Affairs and Study may apply for Residence Permit for Job if they are satisfied with requirements of high-level talents under these instructions; for other persons, they must reenter into China with “Z” visa to conduct related procedures after exiting.


4. Foreigners who hold Residence Permit for Family Union, Personal Affairs, Study and Job may apply for Residence Permit for Journalist only through reentering into China with J1 visa to conduct related procedures after exiting. 


(IX) [Return receipt] Public Security Bureau will issue return receipt after accepting foreigner’s passport and application documents. A foreigner may stay in China in accordance with such return receipt during submission of passport.


(X) [High-level talents] foreigners who meet with the following requirements shall be the High-level talents and shall be entitled to facilitation during issuance of visa documents. 

1. Foreigners who hold R visa entering into China; 


2. Foreign high-level talents and professionals in short supply, such as persons under “One Thousand Plan” implemented by the central government, or “leading personnel”, “younger leading personnel” in Guangdong province and submission of certificates and documents to prove their capacity. 


3. Senior advisers invited (or employed) by the state organs at the  provincial (or ministerial) level, and high-tech or high-level managerial staff implementing science and technology joint projects, key project agreements that Chinese central or local government signed with foreign countries.


4. Academic or scientific research fellows employed by scientific research institutions or key colleges and universities that are at the national and provincial (ministerial) level, and academic or scientific research fellows who are employed by related units and have at least the professional titles of associate professor or associate research fellow or enjoy the same treatment.


5. Those who have made great or prominent contributions to the nation and the society, as well as those who are implementing agreements of inter-government aids without repayment.


6. Those Chinese who have foreign nationalities and won important international scientific awards, as well as other outstanding and important Chinese with foreign nationalities.


7. Certificate of Approval for Establishment of Enterprises with Foreign Investment or related Certificate of Approval for Enterprises shall be provided for foreigners who directly invested over $2 million in China and investors of new high-tech enterprise, foreign ventures encouraged by the government, foreign-invested advanced technology enterprises, 


8. For foreigners who holds position as vice general manager or above at regional headquarters of top 500 companies or multinational corporations, the certification issued by such top 500 companies or regional headquarters of such multinational corporations or related companies, certification of incorporation of such companies, duplicate of business license and his/her job description shall be provided.


9. For foreigners who holds position as vice general manager or above at companies which contribute paid-up registered capital equivalent to $ 3 Million or above, or foreigners who enjoy the same treatment at companies with good standing, senior managerial staff and key professional and technical personnel passed approval, certification of incorporation of such companies, duplicate of business license and his/her job description shall be provided.


(XIII) [Minors] 1. When applying for residence permit, an applicant under age of 18 also shall provide the following document: (1) if his/her parents also stay in Shenzhen, the family relationship certificate, identity certificate of his/her parents and residence permit hold by one of his/her parents shall be provided. (2) For minors under age of 18 but his/her parents do not stay in Shenzhen, the adoption documents shall be provided: (a) relationship certificate of the applicant, (b) photocopies of his/her foreign parents’ passport, (c) power of attorney issued by the applicant’s parents (such power of attorney must expressly set out guardian and fosterage period etc.), (d) engagement letter of foster-person, (e) identity certificate of foster-person: ID Card if he/she is a Shenzhen resident; ID Card and Shenzhen Residence Permit with ten years shall be provided if he/she is not a Shenzhen resident; Residence Permit shall be provided if he/she is a foreigner; (f) if both of her/his parents or one of parents is Chinese citizen, photocopies of their foreign settlement certificate shall be provided. 2. For minor under age of 18, the valid term of his/her residence permit shall not exceed 18 and his/her health certificate shall be provided once they reach age of 18. 


(XIII) [Related law] Nationality Law of The Peoples Republic of China Article 3: The Peoples Republic of China does not recognize dual nationality for any Chinese national. Article 4: Any person born in China whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. Article 5: Any person born abroad whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. But a person whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth shall not have Chinese nationality. 


VII Reject to visa application made by the Exit-Entry Administration Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau shall be final. The competent authorities need not to give reasons why not issue visa. 


VIII This instruction shall be construed by the Exit-Entry Administration Department of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau and this bureau reserves rights to amend this instructions. 


IX Website d by Shenzhen Public Security Bureau: www.sz3e.com (may make an appointment) enquiry telephone number: 84465490 (during working hours)



Division of Exit-entry Administration Public Security Bureau
TCP:05084661 Copyright 2014